Rabbi Fine is committed to educating adults and youth at the highest levels. He attempts to make learning accessible to all ages and in various settings. Rabbi Fine is not afraid to take learning outside the traditional classroom. Rabbi Fine also enjoys teaching through social media platforms. Below are some of the courses Rabbi Fine has offered over the years at Temple of Aaron.
- Modern Jewish Law – Taught at Jones Day Law Firm this course is offered as a once a month lunch and learn. It tackles various perspectives in Jewish law through both ancient and modern Jewish law with insight from civil law. It is cross the Jewish denominational spectrum.
- Shabbat Mornings – Rabbi Fine teaches a variety of classes on Shabbat mornings. Classes have included Interfaith Shabbat Customs, The Death of David, The Jewish Underworld, How Ritual Evolved, etc.
- Pirkei Avot: Yesterday’s Rabbis, Today’s Ethics – This class is invitation only and takes place at a local coffee shop. The class tackles modern ethics through Pirkei Avot and takes place twice a month on Fridays. The group has already worked through Sforno’s commentary.
Classes and Series
Infinity Series – Adult Hebrew School
Rabbi Fine created Temple of Aaron’s new way to make Jewish education available to more than just children in Hebrew school. The Infinity Series is a 2 5-Week semesters with choices of courses that aim to build skills, invoke spirituality, and provide rich learning. Rabbi Fine’s offering have included 5 Talmudic Passages That Will Change Your Life, Talmud 102 and Modern Jewish Law.
Our Greatest Matriarch
A three part Mini-Series looking at Sarah, Rebecca, and Rachel (sorry no Leah). During this classes we will highlight various characteristics and vote to decide the eternal question; Who was our Greatest Matriarch?
Using breathing, focusing technicis, text, music and yoga Rabbi Fine created his own service which he has run several times for the synagogue. When Rabbi Fine is able to get off the bimah, he leads this type of service to engage congregants in an informal setting that encourages thought and relaxation.
Jewish Business Ethics
This five part series aims at young professionals interested in business ethics. Located in the Target Corporate Office, the Jewish Business Ethics class has been a big hit. The class focuses around ethical dilemmas, workers rights, and philanthropy.
Rabbis Around the World
This educational opportunity centers around the weekly parsha. Every other month Rabbi Fine co-teaches a Torah portion with another Rabbi from somewhere around the world through Skype. This class allows for his congregants to not only learn the parsha but learn from a variety of perspectives. It also gives the congregation a chance to meet other Rabbis and hear their stories. Thus far Rabbis Around the World has featured rabbis from Okinawa Japan to Perth Amboy New Jersey to Toronto Canada.
The Dialogue Series
Traveling to various congregant homes, Rabbi Fine engages 15-20 members in conversations based around theological or societal topics. In this warm and easily accessible environment many congregants who do not normally attend adult learning are able to feel more comfortable. Rabbi Fine has found this class welcoming and inspiring.
Religious and Hebrew School
- 9th Grade Text Class – Together we dissect various Tshuvot of the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards
- Midrash and Fantasy Football – Weekly midrashim combined with team building through fantasy football
- Jewish “Pop a Shot” Culture – Modern issues facing Jewish teens and working through issues on the court.
Visions Speaker Series
At Temple of Aaron, in an effort to transform the Bimah, Rabbi Fine created a speaker series. The first two topics were Future of Twin Cities Jewry and New Trends in the Jewish World. This year the topics include Israel: A New Perspective into Our Homeland and What’s Next for the Conservative Movement? Speakers have included Jewish Student Connection, Tikvah Program at Camp Ramah in Wisconsin, Yeshivat Maharat, Moishe House, St. Paul Federation, JCRC, TCJewFolk, and Rabbi Marcia Zimmerman.
Rabbi Fine has developed a Shabbat morning Learners Minyan to enhance the skills of our members and would-be members. This parallels our already highly successful 16 week Fundamentals of Judaism class. These courses are greater for potential converts or anyone who needs a refresher on the nuts & bolts of Judaism.
Conversion: Next Steps
Temple of Aaron offers a Fundamentals of Judaism course for beginners. He teaches parts of this course but after it completes, those interested in converting spend the year completing their studies with Rabbi Fine.
Lunch and Learns
- The Very Beginnings of the Conservative Movement
- Would Moses Be An Effective Leader Today?
- How the Bible is Relevant to the Modern Woman
- History of Jews in Sports
- Purim: God’s Last Miracle
- Solomon Schechter: The Man and His Legacy
- Leah: The Other Mother
- The Beauty of the Etrog
- Partying on Simchat Torah
- And More…
Other Teachings and Educational Opportunities
- Sholom Home – Hanukkah’s Importance
- Beth El Synagogue (Minneapolis) – PARDES Through the Lens of Four Rabbis
- USCJ’s Large Synagogue Conference: Successful Programming
- JFCS NextGen Personal Development Seminar
- JCC Men’s Club – Jews in Sports
- When Jewish Education Falls Short: National Panel Discussion